Dr R.T. (Bob) Steele joined the Club just prior to World War II from SPOC where he had gained an impressive reputation as a footballer. Bob had a strong family connection with ‘the Blacks’. He represented the Club at Inter-Varsities in 1938 and 1939 before World War II caused their cessation. He was awarded his Blue for Football in 1939.
Bob Steele was Captain of ‘the Blacks’ in 1942, the year the SAAFL competition was abandoned and the Club played against Service sides and the League Seconds (Reserves). Although there were no Premierships to aim for at that time, matches were very competitive. Bob Steele kept the objectives of the University Football Club very much alive by fostering sport, particularly football, amongst University students.
After many years as a Vice President, Dr Steele was elected President in 1954 to succeed Dr C.B. Sangster. He remained in this position until the end of the 1959 season and in this time the Club experienced a continuation of the success of the early 1950’s (Premierships in 1954 and 1955).
Bob continued to donate the trophy for the Best and Fairest in A2 for many years after he vacated the President’s chair. He was made an Honorary Life Member in 1960.
During the 75th Year celebrations, Dr Steele established a perpetual trophy for the Best and Fairest player in the ‘B’ grade team.