Harold Page joined the Club in 1940 to take over a team that had finished close to the bottom the previous season. Although this was a difficult period, with World War II underway and many players leaving for War Service, the A1 team finished fifth in 1940 and fourth in 1941.
Harold changed the approach to training by placing more emphasis on fitness than his predecessors. This paid dividends for the ‘A’ grade team. Several players during this period, including N.G. Abbott, G.W. Page, N.C. Ligertwood and P.A. Dalwood, advanced to play League football.
From 1942 to 1946 Harold saw active War Service in the RAAF and, on being discharged in June 1946, took over Norwood Union Football Club. He immediately coached them to a Premiership.
Harold returned to the University Football Club in 1947 (after several A1 players spoke to him at the 1947 Final) and he coached for the next four seasons. Although a Premiership eluded the Club during this time, unfortunate circumstances surrounded the 1947 side which finished Minor Premier. A protest by Payneham against a University player resulted in the side being disqualified (see the story in the summary of this period).
In 1948 the side was again runner-up, and after much thought, this lack of ultimate success in Finals was put down to the timing of the Inter-Varsity games – a week prior to the Finals. This policy was changed soon after this time following his suggestions.
During this period (1947 to 1950), Harold was also named State Coach and coached the State Amateur team to its first victory in a Carnival in 1948, with A.G.A. Tregonning from ‘the Blacks’ as his Captain.
In all, Harold Page coached ‘the Blacks’ for six seasons and, in every year except 1940, the A1 side was in the Finals. This was a rebuilding time for the Club and the foundations that Harold established saw the University Football Club through two magnificent decades in the 1950’s and 1960’s.
Harold Page was made an Honorary Life Member of the Club in 1953.